Arlington residents will vote for three statewide offices, members of the House of Delegates and county officials in 2013. Republican voters will go to the polls twice:
- June 11 - Republican primary for statewide offices
- Nov. 5 - General election
Get involved! We welcome your help in Arlington in 2012, 2013 and beyond. Follow the latest news about local campaigns, state campaigns and Federal campaigns. And sign up to volunteer.
Candidates welcome! The Arlington County Republican Committee welcomes prospective GOP candidates for office. Please contact us to discuss the campaigns.
NOTE: The County Committee does not endorse candidates prior to nomination in contested races.
Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General
Virginia will elect new statewide officers in 2013. Gov. Bob McDonnell cannot seek a second term. Current Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling and Atty. Gen. Ken Cuccinelli are both running for Governor, to build on McDonnell's positive record.. Several Republicans are expected to announce for the Lt. Governor and Attorney General posts, to succeed Bolling and Cuccinelli.
Campaign news: Follow the latest news about the 2013 statewide races in Virginia.
Republican convention: Our nominees for the three statewide offices will be selected by GOP state convention in June 2013. Republicans who wish to vote at the Convention must sign up throught heir local committees early in the year (Feb.-March).
NOTE: The method of nomination was adopted by the Republican State Central Committee in June 2012. That reversed a prior decision by the State Central Committee (in Oct. 2011) to nominate 2013 candidates by primary.
Candidates for Governor: Following is a list of current candidates for the GOP nomination (in alphabetical order):
Not running for Governor:
- Ken Cuccinelli - Attorney General (2010-present), former State Senator from Fairfax Co. (2002-2009)
- Bill Bolling - Lt. Governor (2006-present), former State Senator from Hanover Co. (1996-2005)
Announced (Apr. 2010); withdrew (Nov. 2012)
Candidates for Lt. Governor: Following is a list of current and prospective candidates for the GOP nomination (in alphabetical order):
Not running for Lieutenant Governor:
- Jeannemarie Davis - former State Senator from Fairfax County (2004-08)
- Scott Lingamfelter - State Delegate from Prince William County (2002-present)
- Steve Martin - State Senator from Chesterfield County (1994-present)
- Pete Snyder - media consultant from Fairfax Co.
Announced (Nov. 2012)
- Corey Stewart - chairman, Prince William County Board of Supervisors (2007-present)
- Susan Stimpson - State Senator from Chesterfield County (1994-present)
- Keith Fimian - former candidate for Congress from Fairfax Co. (2008, 2010)
Candidates for Attorney General: Following is a list of current and prospective candidates for the GOP nomination (in alphabetical order):
- Rob Bell - State Delegate from Albemarle Co. (2002-present)
Announced (Dec. 2011)
- Mark Obenshain - State Senator from Harrisonburg (2004-prexent)
Not running for Attorney General:
- Dave Foster - State Board of Education (2010-present); Arlington School Board (1999-2007)
- John Frey - Fairfax County Clerk of Court (1992-prexent)
Seats on the County Board and School Board will be up in 2013. All County offices are elected county-wide.
Nomination: The method of nomination for our County Board nominee will be determined in early 2013.
Campaign news: Follow the latest news about the upcoming County races in Arlington.
On the ballot in Nov. 2013:
- County Board (1 seat) - incumbent Jay Fisette (D) will be up for re-election
- School Board (1 seat) - incumbent James Lander (D) will be up for re-election.